Monday, March 29, 2010

SMU police

I was riding in the car today with four of my friends and as we were about to leave the blvd an SMU cop pulled us over. First he said that I was not wearing my seatbelt, even though I was. Once he realized that he had made a mistake he told the driver that she had been going 35 in a 20 mph zone. First of all there was no way that he had a radar gun on us. He had no way of knowing is she was speeding and I was in the backseat so it was very unlikely that he could tell that I was or was not wearing my seat belt. The police around here have nothing to do and therefore they pull kids over for no reason but to scare them and are not around when they are actually needed. For example last week my roommate's car windshield got smashed in behind Boaz Hall at some point during the night. Her alarm was blaring for hours and no cops did anything. They sit on the blvd all night and I cant imagine that they did not hear a car alarm going off. They should be monitoring the parking lots and be in charge of security and not just looking to get kids in trouble.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Cops in general tend to look for trouble and not give kids our age the benefit of the doubt. They usually suspect that we are always up to trouble. One of my friends who has never had a sip of alcohol in her life because of her religion was pulled over and accused of being drunk simply because she is an upbeat and friendly girl. When the cops assumed she had been drinking her friends in the car laughed knowing that wasnt true and the cop then pursued it further. This kind of harassment is just embarassing especially when there is usually real trouble that cops could be helping out with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. Aren't police suppose to "protect and serve?" We shouldn't have to be scared of the police or feel threatened by them even when we're not doing anything wrong. They are supposed to make us feel safer by having them around, but like you said, they are never there when you need them and always there to bust up a party or get kids in trouble for something.

    ReplyDelete